Wednesday, May 20, 2009

17th of May... in Japan!

As I expect you all to know, 17th of May is Norway's national day. Oddly enough there was not much celebrating here in Japan(!), but I did tell the Japanese about it, so in a way I remembered the 17th even though I did not wear my bunad or have a Norwegian flag to wave about with.

I did, however, practice Japanese dance at my teacher's house, which was a lot of fun! It goes down something like this:




I practice at my teacher's house one weekend every month. It's a lot of fun and quite challenging (keep those heels and hips down!), but I think It's a lot of fun! I think it's one of the few dances I can do without feeling foolish or embarrassed. (Hip hop could be fun, if I had more self-confidence and didn't feel like such a failure, see...) Also, the choreography seems to be slower, so I find it easier to learn.

I gave my teacher a mini-calendar with pictures of Norway and a postcard with pictures of Oslo as a 17th of May present, and sketched national costumes on a piece of paper, explaining a bit about our way of celebrating. I'm also explaining a bit about the "russ" celebration, and feeling a bit sad that I can't graduate with all my friends. Awww.

Sometimes I kind of wish Japan could be a bit like Narnia, so that I could come back and everything would stay the same. But then again, I'm so curious to hear about the changes and what my friends will be doing now that I guess I'm happy it's the way it is. ...now if only I could take my Japanese host family, friends and some teachers with me when I go home... (Matti-sensei, say you'll come with me and be my homeroom teacher! Pretty pleeeease! There can never bee to many! You and BĂ©atrice will be a great team! I'll handle the translations?)

*ahem*

Japanese dance. Yes.
Well, I'm practicing "Sakura Sakura", which involves a lot of waving about with my two fans (pretty-pretty!) and moving of pigeon-toed feet. But I swear I look really cute and professional! My teachers have said that they'll dress me up in a furisode when I've learnt the whole dance, and they'll take a picture of me that I can show to my Norwegian family and friends. Hurray! :D

Here's hoping I don't get tangled up in those long sleeves...

3 comments:

Rakel said...

Ooooouh! You have to teach me when you get home pleeeease! =O
It looks awesome, do you practice in a kimono?

starairi said...

Oh 17th of may in Japan :D
I told my teachers of it by drawing our flag on the whiteboard on monday. They where excited and asked all sorts of questions about it. So I've been telling them about Eidsvoll and the unionsoppløsning and stuff x)

Tonje said...

Good news, everybody!
Er i 3 runde i provespillet til Stavanger :)
Det blir 2 uker i orkesteret (til hosten) sa na kan jeg ha hele sommeren til a ove pa orkesterstemmer...

Love you, little sis!!

search my blog...